The hospital is not a fun place.
Another weekend spent in the hospital. I think I spend 16 hours in the hospital everyday. I wonder if other medical students spend as much time as me in the hospital. I wonder if this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. I really enjoyed talking to patients, identifying their health problems and see how they recover. I want to understand the disease process and the wonders of medicine. But I do not like the people who work at the institution. I will not blog about the nasty attitudes of some people who work in the hospital. I practice work ethics and professionalism.
I still hold on to the idea that as people go higher in the medical field, they become more cuckoo. You can see too many of them in the hospital. Some are cuckoo and nice. Some are cuckoo and nasty. I’m trying to hold on to some semblance of sanity in this sea of cuckoo geniuses.
I have friends who graduated from medical school overseas and came back to serve the country as housemen. They were really put off by the working conditions here and left to work abroad. Many were willing to contribute but just one week of working in a local hospital is enough to change their minds.
The hospital can be a complicated place sometimes. I have been approached by bisexual lecturers and doctors. They asked me out for lunch and dinner. I thought it was just harmless, friendly gestures. The moment I was offered personal tuition, I knew something was not quite right.
I wonder if doctors get harassed by patients. In a normal routine, doctors would have to ask patients some questions before proceeding to do a physical examination. I was innocently standing beside a female patient’s bed when she called out to me aloud, “Doctor, do you want to ask me questions?” followed by a wink and smile.
Mom has asked me to stop collecting sugar mummies. I already have two. Not something I am proud of. One with a successful paediatrics clinic and another general physician with a busy clinic. They offered to be my godmother, and I did not know what to say. I have not asked anything from them. “They must include you in their will and inheritance when they pass away,” mom reminds me sometimes. My mom thinks I am an expensive child to feed.
I remember having a profile when I was first exposed to online personals. I was offered RM250 just to be sucked and do nothing else. Offers of romantic relationships came from people who don’t even know me. When I refused offers to be a callboy, I was offered a room exclusively at KL Hilton for nights of mutual pleasure. The reasoning was that a hotel room in exchange for money if money made me feel dirty. I refused and a final offer of a sum triple the price that normal money boy charges for sex was made. Another one offered me to be his toyboy with monthly allowance as long as I fulfill his kinky sexual requests. A room at KL Hilton, is that all I am worth?
Dear God, please deliver me from temptation.
Looks will fade with time. A gay man’s value decreases as he gets older. I think bottoms have it worse than tops. You can not be a cute bottom when you are a wrinkly 40-year-old. Where do all the twinky bottoms go when they are in their fifties? Have they retreated into the darkness? They are heaps of them on the streets and yet you don’t see any of them anymore when they are old.
I make it a point to work harder than other people. Sometimes, people do not take me seriously because of the way I look. I am a late bloomer. I only learned to use my looks to my advantage at 21. The hospital can be a very hostile place. It’s survival of the fittest. It helps to smile sweetly so the fierce premenopausal ward sister would not scold you (some scold you for no reason). It helps to look pleasant when you know the grumpy consultant is going to start her day by scolding every doctor. It helps have a hush puppy face when the long-staying patient is already agitated for staying too long in the ward and you have to examine her for an important exam.
I am afraid of starting my training as a houseman in the hospital. I have spent enough time in the hospital to understand its politics and mechanics. I think with a little bit of charm, some wit, mountains of patience and lots of hard work, I will pull through. I am ready now.
The hospital is not a fun place. Not only for the sick patients, but also for the healthy doctors and nurses working inside. I am still interested in medicine despite all the setbacks.
Life is not easy because some people will make it hard for you, but I will cope. Sit down and rest when I am tired. Get up and continue when I am ready again.

27 comments:
Brace yourself. I'm sure you've heard tales about housemanship.
Welcome to the real world. Slowly but surely you will get street smart.
Go to East Malaysia for your houseman. It is a better place where you can learn and the people are more friendly.
I wish i was paid for those things, but sadly my looks were not good :(
i guess im not as morally perfect as you as i dont mind selling myself at this point of time, after all "it" has already been done against my wishes, there's no value anymore. Because if i place any it will hurt uncontrollably.
But i am jealous of you and i do admire you at the same time for being able to cope with so much at such an age and having what i never had: beauty and the strength, as well as dignity. Most of the time, when i see myself from the 'gay value' aspect i feel as though i am cursed to not to trust humans...especially another man. So i'd see myself differently. a butch bisexual trapped in a man's body. It may not be the "truth" but it does help ease the pain.
Life is "tough" if we keep resting in our comfort zones and think thats the place we should be, but the more shitty people i meet the more i feel happy because i manage to deal with them without turning into one of those cruel, bitter and viscious people who end up ruining everyone's day...i'd rather be the light, smile, crack jokes even tho 20 people a day approach me for PC problems (yeah i work as IT support) make conversations because i force myself to even tho i'd rather be quiet and finish my job because i hate talking.
I have to battle through lazy colleagues who dont hesitate to backstab me but its cool as its just more training fodder for the me thats going to be someone that none of the can ever be or achieve.
thats...how i get through my day as i look forward to more friends and achievements. after all life's a game. we need to get all the achievements in front of us.
the fox seems to have regurgitated after a bad meal....*embarassed*
OMG I wish I have looks to use to my advantage!
haha.
------------------
wow....it's one of those "serious posts" from you....
gambateh Dove.
Delusion~
you also can what....
wont able to work happily in nasty working environment, will produce low productivity. but i am sure you will cope and find a way to serve those in need, in a happy way.
happy working.
[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot
"...it seems that when we give up on what was, that's when things that we thought improbable or impossible even, happen right before your eyes."
And the reason ur single is? :)
Anyway,Hospital is a nasty place,even in the lab,we have double standards like DMLT students are better than BMM students etc..Just bear with it and who knows,sumting good will come to ur way eventually
enjoy reading yr postings as always! I had a friend who did his housemanship then went to UK and after 4 years decided to come back n work in Msia again!
:) so hard to say, guess it depends on the person!
The first thing to do is to deal with the politics in an organization and NOT picking any sides. It's important to stand still on your own stance while maintaining good relationship with EVERYONE. And you're doing great.
I certainly experience all the same things as you do, just in different settings. As you said, we're doing fine.
But I never use my look to take any advantage since I am just an average guy. Haha. You've got the full package to shine. You'll be a great doctor.
Even I am good at what I am doing, but I am not sure I want this for the rest of my life.
All the best, buddy.
As harsh as it is at times, you always seem to find the silver lining in it. Hope you will not stop looking.
as I read your post, it brought me so much deja vu moments, ahahaha. I'm not laughing at you, pls don't misunderstand. Rather it's the ironic similarities in our lives' journey. And yes, those 'godmothers' will always be there in each and every hospital you go to. Take it with a pinch of salt. Don't need any official recognition as in tea drinking ceremony, yeah.
As for dealing with other hospital staffs, I'd learned to let my work do the talking or 'showing' though of course having charms and looks are added bonuses. And those aren't to be ignored or shied away from. Rather use them to your advantage as in dealing with patients and hostile parents. Colleagues will envy no doubt when you're the consultants' favourite or blue eyed boy, as I was told but heck, I'd earned it with credibility and so can you, my lil dovey!!!!
well judging from what u said, u must be pretty good looking lad. So there is no harm using it as added advantage when u do your housemanship. Lecturer and the perimenopausal nurses are ordinary humans too. WHo says u cant play dirty...as long as its not too over :P
Hope you'll find the joy in working...hard it may seem.
u'll be fine, little dovey..
come join me! ha!
The way you thought, make you a mature person to be and become a role model for everyone who are in medical field. Your words really motivate me when i feel disappointed with the hospital politics.As part of health sciences, i hope i'll always have the strong will like you do in serving patients.
If you can stay so long in the hospital without feeling burnout then you're quite likely happy with working there. Going cuckoo will just help keep you balanced :P
It is always an advantage to be cute and handsome doctor. I know.. err.. two handsome doctor so far.
They are considered 'pets' for the head of department.
Even after the houseman and the hospital throw them out to Klinik Kesihatan, the HOD save their 'pets'.. ha ha by recruiting them into the specialist program and la la la le le le..
Being handsome is a gift of luck...
GREAT luck to be exact.
I always want to be tall and handsome, but doesn't have it.
and at my age, my skin is started to wrinkle and it looked bad.
SO.. utilize your looks for the max and remember to do MASK!!
Good luck, I know you will have a bright future!!
believe in yourself what you doing....
Speaking of which, this is totally unconnected to your entry but "Pockets of Sunshine" has always ring a bell somewhere in my mind.
I could not point it out exactly until recently - your blog reminds me of this song:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zx27dP1mTg
Literal as it may seemed, oh well...
be strong little dove!!!
haha, god will send a good looking patient for u soon :P
[Legolas] I hope I am ready. Have been working very hard.
[carpe diem] I'm thinking about the same thing. :)
[Little Fox] You have the most intense blog of all the new blogs I am reading right now. We all have our own strengths. I am not morally perfect but experience has been a great teacher. It has taught me how to approach certain things differently in life, lest I regret in future. Thank you for your wonderful comment. :)
[DeluSion] I didn't know I sounded that serious. Lol. But housemenship is really unnerving and I am doing all the best to prepare for it.
[Khai] DeluSion absolutely can! ;)
[Ultraman Jino] You're right indeed, but this is something every doctor will have to go through in their career, at least in this coutry.
[plainjoe] I learned to stop worrying about things that I do not have control of. Like you said. :)
[ichimaru akira] I am single because of extremely bad experiences with love.
[summers117] Hi master Chef! Thank you for reading my humble little blog.
[C'est la vie] Do what makes you happy. Life is short, no regrets.
[William] Sometimes, it is like looking for sunshine in a cloudy day.
[Antinous] Thank you for the sound advice. It's a tough journey to success but I will strive and persevere! :)
p/s: How many godmothers did you have?
[blue] I always believe in playing fair but a little help from what I have can be quite useful. ;)
[Jaded Jeremy] I certainly will! Thank you. :)
[JOhnny] I am avoiding all GH and teaching hospitals. Too stressful! Haha
[hs] Thank you for such sweet comment. You'll be loved by your patients.
[Janvier] You made cuckoo sound so okay. LOL
[Emo-Happiness] Yupes, mask and lots of anti-aging cream! ;p
[nicky05] Always believe in myself and other people. :)
[plainjoe] Hello again! It's a nice soothing song. I wasn't thinking of songs when I came up with this blog. I was thinking of the sunny beach! ;)
[Silencer] You too! :)
[L²] God sent me a few good looking patients this week...and two stalkers your way ;p
Sunny beach! My all-time favourite tho I have not stepped onto those sandy sunny beaches for almost six months albeit me living merely 30 mins away from it..
LD...
"When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going"
Any challenges or situation, you're just gonna be 100 times stronger yet wiser. That's how you dissolve a war and emerge a champion :)
Add Oil!
Helix
@plainjoe: Beach boy!
@SynchingZincInc: I will be a tough Dovey! Thanks.
Indeed. Can't help it. I always have a soft spot for a quiet sunny beach.
Post a Comment