Monday, March 1, 2010

The day I stopped loving myself

The night was still. It was quiet except for the sound of my own breathing. The rope was around my neck. I let it caress my neck and it tightened into a loop. I wanted to die by asphyxiation, suffocating myself to death. They say right before you die, your life flashes before your eyes. It is true. At the age of seventeen, my whole life flashed before my eyes. It wasn’t my entire life from childhood to present but the thing that mattered most to me. I guess I never knew how important that matter was in my young mind until that very day. Right before I tried to kill myself, images of my family started flashing in my mind. And I felt this deep, intense love inside my heart. A love that was stronger than the desire to end my life at that very moment. I thought of my family, especially my mother, the one I was closest to. I couldn’t let go of them even though I had decided to let go of my own life. There was this heaviness in my heart, making me not wanting to leave them. I thought I wanted to leave this world behind. But I didn’t want to leave them behind. I couldn’t.

I took my head out of the loop and started gasping for air. Then I burst into tears. I never cried so hard in my life. I cried until my nose become blocked and started to run with secretions. I cried until I couldn’t see from all the tears. I cried till there was a puddle of water on the pillow. I stifled my cries with the pillow so my sleeping family members would not hear. I cried until exhaustion kicked in and fell into sleep.

I woke up to the bright morning sun the next day. Like the rays of sunshine penetrating my room, I felt that my life has changed and I wanted to start anew. I pretended nothing was wrong. I thought my eyes were puffy but I didn’t think my parents noticed. I haven’t eaten for days and my parents were just glad I was going to the kitchen for some breakfast. I had been depressed for months but the past few days have been the lowest point in my life, before spiraling into the night of my suicidal attempt. I became as dark as the December storm, unlike my usual sunny self.

Last night, after my suicide attempt, I realized that there was more to life. I need to be more responsible to myself and the people around me. Dying will not solve the problem. Most importantly, I love my father, mother, brother and sister too much to leave them. I finished my breakfast alone, quietly. I was starving, from my many days of self-imposed ‘fasting’.

I heard a sound as I went upstairs to my bedroom. I started running to my room as fast as I can. “No, NO, NO,” I screamed inside my head as thoughts went through my mind. I did not lock the door and someone must have went in and saw something they should not see.

It was mom. She was crying uncontrollably. Tears were streaming down her cheeks. Her eyes were red. She looked at me and asked, “WHY? WHY?”

When I saw her cried, I started crying too. I felt defeated and just sank to the ground. My knees turned weak. She had searched through my room as I was having breakfast in the kitchen. I should’ve locked the room. I thought I hid everything. How could I be so careless?

She found my suicide notes hidden under the mattress. She just asked why and kept crying. I cried too. I saw the anger in her eyes. I saw the disappointment in her eyes. I saw the sadness in her eyes. I didn’t know what to say. I disappointed her as her favourite child. I was the strongest in her eyes. The brightest one. And yet, now, I felt like I am the most worthless.

I felt helpless as I continued to look at her crying. Seeing your mother cry while discovering your darkest secret will break even the strongest heart. She discovered and read all the little pieces of suicide notes I left for them had I successfully killed myself last night.

Both my mom and I could barely speak as our voices were choked by tears and emotions. Time seemed to stopped and we just stood there crying, and looking at each other. I hugged her and told her I am sorry. Told her that I love her. She hugged me back, still crying, but did not say anything.

Until this day, my mom doesn’t quite know the reason I attempted suicide. She thought I was broken hearted over breaking up with a girl. We never talked about this dark day that happened in our lives. It was something we try to avoid. My suicide attempt occurred during Chinese New Year. For the next few years, Chinese New Year was never the same again. Sometimes, when I am alone with her, she would casually bring this up and ask me what happened that day without specifically pointing to the incident. We both knew which event she was referring to but I always brushed it off and changed the subject. When she sensed a change in emotion, with the air suddenly tensed, she would stop pursuing the matter, and become quiet.

The real reason I wanted to die was because I could not accept my own sexuality. Sometimes, you know about it all your life, since childhood. But at 17, reality suddenly hits and I understand how being different is not a good thing. My mother would never accept me for who I am. Society would not accept people like me. I thought I was a freak. A mistake of God. I was abnormal. I had perverted desires. I had no reason to live on this earth as a freak. I took some time to accept myself. Thanks to the resources from the Internet on sexuality and my ex, whom I eventually found love. I thought I was going to be happy again. Little did I know, accepting my sexuality was only the beginning of a journey. One that would not be easy.

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can feel my heart tingling in pain and empathy reading your post. You've written part of my life being a seventeen...

Darlie & Latte said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The first thing I want to say is WELL WRITTEN!!! I mean the flow and the words and you definitely captured the essence and emotion of that day in words. You're very good in writing. If this is not a real story, it can really be a good opening for a novel. Hehehe...

Anyway, I'm glad and proud that you made the right decision. Yes, being different is difficult but look at Einstein, people said he's mad but now everyone is learning his theory.

The point is, whenever someone is different from the norm, the society will label them as weird, abnormal and wrong in the eyes of God but God hand-made each one of us the way he wants us to be.

There's nothing wrong for being who you are and you are definitely NOT alone in this. Never ever end your life just like that. Talk it out, talk to someone you can trust, someone you love.

By the way, has you come out to your Mum yet? How does she take it?

I have a favour to ask, do you mind me copying this post of yours in my blog just to share with other gays who might want to end their life too because of pressure and guilt? I believe you are the model for them to look up to that there is still life and future out there.

ichimaru akira said...

Hugs..

Dove,i know living a gay life isn't easy.Each of us have their own set of probs and monsters but always remember,we are in it together.

C'est la vie said...

OMG~~ I was wondering whether you're taking some stories from nowhere, but when I read through, you're writing about your life.

Yes, 17, I would do that too. But I only conformed to myself that I was different when I was like 18-19, I wouldn't have done anything to kill myself. I was too afraid to die. I still am.

For what we have to go through, is definitely not something that "normal" people could imagine. Staying in the closet has its good sides, of course to tell some close friends to get yourself relieved. That's what I do.

Luckily you're still here. *hug*

rotiboy said...

Sometimes, you know about it all your life, since childhood. But at 17, reality suddenly hits and I understand how being different is not a good thing. My mother would never accept me for who I am. Society would not accept people like me. I thought I was a freak. A mistake of God. I was abnormal. I had perverted desires. I had no reason to live on this earth as a freak.

I think this part is so true for what I feel at times. But good thing is I have been able to snap out of it quickly. I'm really glad that you made through it and did not choose to end your life at the end. Live on and live well! =)

Johnny said...

plz dun!!
we love you!

Legolas said...

Always love yourself more than anybody else.

hs said...

i feel glad that u didn't do a wrong choice, there always got people same with you outside there. everyone is normal, we all are human. we have our own rights to love. Be brave, k? *hug*

William said...

I'm glad you stepped back from the edge. No looking back now, you hear?

Pike-chan said...

And there are people out there who will be giving you support, when you least expected it... stay strong....

savante said...

So always keep your eyes open for someone in need of a helping hand! Not easy going through such changes in adolescence.

Medie007 said...

wow. a very moving essay indeed. you should submit it to those LGBT group.

;)

J-boy said...

wow it must not be easy sharing something like this, but i'm glad u did!

sometimes being different than the "normal" standards really sucks and i feel that way every now and then..

at least we are not alone! lots and lots of ppl going through it too.. i take some comfort in that

culpable said...

guess everyone of us here has a story to be told huh...

SynchingZincInc said...

You're not alone :)

carpe diem said...

I believe all of us have an issue with our sexuality at one point or another in our lives. From young we are thought to conform to the norm.

We are what we are for a reason. Things happens for a reason. We don't know why but when you look in retrospect, it happened for a good reason. These are lessons in life.

I am sure you are even closer to your family, especially your mum. You would also look at life differently. In short you grew up and became stronger from that experience.

We may be a minority in the community. But they do not live our lives for us. As a community we should come together and be there for each other. We may not be able to change the perception of the majority but we can live a healthy and fulfilled life and show them that we too can be successful in every way.

Little Dove, Thank you for sharing your experience. I believe the story will help many others who are in the same predicament and dilemma.

L² said...

OMG~ luckily u make the right decision. cheer up... dovey~

nicky05 said...

Thank god, you didn't do that...come, let hug you...XD

simonlover said...

My heart felt very sad when i read abt ur suicide attempt. It's foolish to end your life just like that. We shud always cherish our life no matter how depress you are! Please love your life and do not die unlessa u r fated to! Besides, u still hv a thing to settle with ur Prince Charming leh!

Emo-Happiness said...

When I wake up the second morning.
I saw a dove flying through the window .. under a ray of light in the deep blue sky.

The dove said to pockets of sunshine,"You are different, but you are beautiful".

Is it why your blog is called pockets of sunshine?
Because you had found light in the dark,
because you had seen life in the dead.
Because you had grown your soul over your body.

Life can be more beautiful.
and it is.. with friends and families you have.

Thanks for a great sharing.

Little Dove said...

[Anonymous] The pain was very real. I hope you got out of that experience wiser and stronger.

[Calvin] Thanks Calvin. Mom does not know. I don't think she will. You are welcome to share the story with your readers. :)

[ichimaru akira] Thank you. It's good to know we are in it together.

[C'est la vie] I'm still here. But don't know for how long. Trying to kill myself will never happen again.

[rotiboy] I thought I was the only one feeling that way. Let's be happy and try to survive this cruel but beautiful world.

[Johnny] Thanks.

[Legolas] That's not easy to do for some people, as some people are more givers than receivers, but we have to learn how to love ourselves.

[hs] I always try to be brave. Courage doesn't come in abundance when I was at seventeen.

[William] Yes, no looking back at that dreadful past. But the future seems terrifying at times.

[pikey] Those people do exists, and I'm blessed to know them.

[savante] I'm just glad I grew out of adolescence. It has been an awkward and unmemorable experience. But adulthood is way more horrifying.

[Medie007] Thank you. Would they accept?

[J-boy] Thank you. I take comfort too in knowing people going through the same experience and coming out of it stronger.

[clownful] We all have stories to tell. Sometimes sad, sometime happy.

[SynchingZincInc] I know I am not alone. Thank you.

[carpe diem] Thank you for taking the time to read. I conform to the norm nowadays but I fully understand who I really am inside and not afraid of being different anymore.

[L²] Cheered up after your comment. ^_^

[nicky05] I think I gave myself a big scare too besides my family. Thank you for the hug.

[simonlover] At that time, I really thought dying was the only way to resolve the matter. But they are always other and happier alternatives. That's accepting myself and using the best of my abilities to bring some sunshine into other people's lives.

[Emo-Happiness] If what you wrote if given a tune, it would become a beautiful song. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

this is so intense! a lot of us would go through such kind of depression but yours just went extreme. and your mum stumbled on it, boy, must have broke her heart. i guess this episode of your life made you a strong person now..

Little Dove said...

[3quarks] It broke both our hearts. I am stronger and wiser now. Regretted it happen but I guessed it did for a good reason.

Mark said...

All I can say after reading this is that I'm REALLY glad you didn't step over the edge and backed up. The love that you have for your family and all those who mattered to you, and vice versa, was the thing that saved you.

When you're only 17, young and emotional, with the world practically against your true self, it's definitely daunting and a lot of us will be tempted to choose the 'easy' way out. I'm glad you lived to this day and realized that there is more to life than despair and self-loathing. There will always love and support, be it from your family, friends and even those that you've never met here. I'm glad you didn't become another 'Bobby'.

You are brave to reveal this moving tale on the darkest part of your life and I applaud your courage. A very touching post and very well written indeed.

Do you mind if I re-post this?

Little Dove said...

[Mark] Thank you for taking the time to read. You are welcome to repost my story. I guess some life events changes us, either to become better or worse. I scare myself sometimes with the things that I do.

Were you referring to Bobby Griffith? I have never heard about him until your comment. I wikipedia-ed him and there's a movie, Prayers for Bobby, based on his true story. There would be no turning back had I jumped into the path of an oncoming eighteen-wheeler truck.

Mark said...

Yes, I was referring to Bobby Griffith. Prayers for Bobby was a deeply moving movie for me. It basically chronicles what MOST gay people go through with their family, community and own perceptions. In fact, I wrote a post about Prayers for Bobby too.

You might want to check it out. Be proud that you didn't become another 'Bobby'. Never attempt to even THINK about that road again. Too many people love you and you're worth a whole lot more than you will ever realize =)

Bengbeng said...

i am so glad the main event didnt happen. life is a gift from God. Appreciate it for what it is. I attempted suicide once over some child parental thingy at a young age. Since then I have grown up, married, have a child etc... endure today for tomorrow gives us many more options than today

Little Dove said...

[Mark] I read both your postings dated April 2009. You've been through a lot, and I believe that made you who you are today. I love your review of the movie and can't agree more with the pastor. God loves us for who we are. I'm going to find the movie once I got the time. A very touching and powerful drama.

Little Dove said...

[Bengbeng] Thank you for reading. We tend do foolish things sometimes, when the mind is still young. I'm glad you past that phase, and now a loving and wonderful daddy.

summers117 said...

just read yr post! U write very well! I am so glad that u managed to step back from the edge! Looking fwd to reading more of yr postings!

Cheers

Little Dove said...

[summers117] Thank you. :)

Jaded One said...

You write really well. And I'm glad you didn't follow through with the suicide. =)

Little Dove said...

[Jaded One] Thank you for the compliment. Appreciate it. :)

JayC said...

You may not know me,but I read this post of yours and just started crying.

Little Dove said...

[JayC] I can offer you a warm friendly hug. :)