I just returned from the labour room, the place where babies come into the world from their mother’s womb. I spent nearly 12 hours in the hospital on a weekend. I think it was time well spent. Just few days ago, I was contemplating whether I would make a good doctor, and I had thoughts on not practicing as a medical doctor when I graduate. I had a long chat with my parents, and as usual, they reminded me that the decision lies in my hands. Spending a little extra time in the hospital really helped me organize my thoughts. I think I know the answer now. This to be revealed soon.
I spent almost as much time as the housemen in the hospital nowadays. 48 hours of continuous work. They can take little naps in between. Unbelievable.
I seldom blog about the hospital or wards. There are many happy things, but there are bad times as well. I personally think there are too much politics in the hospital. Work politics exists everywhere but I have seen how complicated things can get in the hospital. I could imagine what Savante had to put up with when he writes about it in his Bedtime Stories. In the labour room, the midwife staff nurses can become very fierce. They are highly experienced and specialized in their field, just like the ICU or OT nurses. In a hospital, almost everyone wants a piece of action when it comes to procedures and filling up their log books. Competition exists between the housemen, trainee nurses and medical students. I would not want disclose who the midwives favour but you can take a good guess. Bullying can become rampant and unsupervised in certain corners of the hospital.
I have to admit that medical students are better with theories than doing procedures. It is very important for us to have deep understanding of a disease so we would know how to manage it. Come to think of it, there more than a thousand diseases in the world. On the other hand, medical assistants and nurses are excellent in hands-on procedures but may not have the most in depth knowledge when it comes to subject matter. The training between doctor and nurses is very different.
I was prepared to deliver the baby after waiting with the pregnant lady for more than 6 hours. She was screaming, kicking in pain, knocking her head on the wall and trying to jump out of bed. In between all that, I had to chant a mantra of “breathe in deeply, exhale, relax” repeatedly to her. First time mothers are very anxious and unprepared for the pain in giving birth. The medical-personnel-who-shall-not-be-named was ready to pounce on me the moment I commit a mistake. I did my best and they were actually nice enough to lend me a helping hand. I think I was the only medical student in the entire hospital at 5am on a weekend. Probably they feel sorry for me and begun treating me like one of their own.
I left the hospital around 6am. You can see many peculiar things at the car park in the hospital when it is dark. I see legs sticking up from the backseat. Sometimes, you see the legs on the dashboard. No, the legs do not belong to people humping inside the car. There are actually people who sleep inside their car when their loved ones or family is warded or having an emergency operation in the hospital.
After I left the hospital compound, I had a quick McD breakfast. I felt so safe inside McD. I’m always a KFC boy but they don’t have Big Breakfast or hash browns in their menu. The counter girl was extremely smiley when she saw me. I must have looked peculiar in formal wear on an early Sunday morning when the sun has not risen yet. She offered me Milo when I refused coffee. She even offered to put just a little ice or none at all (depending on my request) in my Iced Milo. That was really sweet of her.
Time to go to bed. Good night and good morning!

13 comments:
Great feeling right? That very first call! :) Try it out as a houseman before considering leaving medicine! It's not that bad.
Ganbatte!
Helix
Just go for it.
a good experience, isn't it... not everyone has the chance like you ^^
[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot
I've been a silent reader of your blog for quite sometime. You have some great articles and quotes there! Keep up the good job!
Btw, it's always great to welcome a new life to this world, coz not many people have such honour to do so :)
i have always think the labour room as heaven-and-hell in one place...its heaven when happy things happen and all hell break loose when things go awry...the finger pointing...the drama...the favouritism...Last place i wanna have McD in..
my calls weren't so exciting... :(
but have to agree on politics...
hardworking nya!! good good...
You are depositing some money in your heaven's piggy bank..
Remember that.
Its your life.So, handle with care, pls..
Emo
[savante] On call was great but the after effect was terrible. Exhausted. I think I can handle it, just needed a little time to get used to it.
[SynchingZincInc] Thanks Helix. How's life?
[William] I will soldier on!
[Ultraman Jino] I will treasure this chance, hoping it will not only change my life, but others as well, in the most positive light.
[Dummy] Hi there. Thank you for being my silent reader. Your compliments made me blush. Thanks again. :)
[blue] I was having McD away from the hospital. Hehe. True, the hospital can become a very nasty place, sometimes beautiful things occur as well. I try to see everything as positive as possible. Happy working! :)
[Medie007] Don't bully me when you become my boss, ok?
[Johnny] Need to be hardworking so I can achieve your level of competence. ;)
[Emo-Happiness] I'm falling in love with your comments...
the most important thing in work is the priceless n powerful of passion. without that, nothing is deemed gud enuf. the work will be truely sincerely.
u also need to remember that you too must take gud care of yourself. do take time off away from hospital. u need it.
politics happens everywhere. 1 thing to avoid politics in hospital is never to do it at the expense of the patient. it is a dishonor act doing so. its irresponsbile.
ur colleagues will respect ur work if u do it professionally. respect cannot be demanded. it must be earned.
Politics is part and parcel of everyday life. As you become exposed to the work environment you begin to experience it. You just have to learn how to deal with it. It is like a chess game. Someday soon you will get very good at dealing with it.
Somethings you cannot change. Have a clear conscience at all times. Don't do what you don't want others do unto you. I am sure you have been ingrained with all these positive traits in your upbringing. Just make sure that you do not get sucked into compromising these principles of life when you are exposed again and again to the negativity of the environment someday down your working life, so much so that what is wrong becomes right.
The hospital working environment is a classic one where the vicious circle repeats itself again and again. Everyone got hell at one time of their life when they started as a houseman. When they climb up the hierarchy they do it back to their juniors. The Government and stupid politicians add to your miseries further.
However, not all are bad. Along the way you will meet some Consultants and MOs who will make you think that you have not made a wrong choice after all.
Medicine is a calling. Endure this hell for a while and you will be rewarded in abundance. One day you will know that all this shit is worth your while when someone you do not know walks up to you and thank you for giving his loved one a new lease of life.
[Koala Express] What you said is all true. Sometimes the training becames truly unbearable with no space to breathe.
"...never to do it at the expense of the patient." I'll keep that etched in my mind.
[carpe diem] I couldn't agree more on what you've mentioned. Medicine is a field where you can find many people with huge ego. These people are top students, never encounter failure in their lives and acquired extensive knowledge that makes them quite powerful. But there are some really nice people in the hospital, the gems that not only light up patients' lives but their colleagues as well.
Post a Comment