Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Fishy Recipe

I am kitchen-challenged. I can only boil water, and that's with an automatic kettle. Sometimes, I make some herbal soup, chicken soup, scrambled eggs, fried chicken, steamed herbal chicken and sunny side ups! My cooking ability is limited.



Here's the hinava recipe as requested by Will.i.am and carpe diem. There are so many versions and my parents confuse me as they both have their own version! Here's the recipe which I think will make some decent hinava. ^_^

500g mackerel fillet (tenggiri), skinned & cut into strips or small cubes
Juice from 10 lime (kasturi)
3 to 4 small red onions, sliced or chopped finely or 2 large onions cut into small chunks
3-4 inches ginger, finely sliced
2 large chilies, cut into fine strips
4 to 6 small chilies, finely sliced
200g bitter gourd, cut into very thin short slices & mixed with salt 15 minutes
Sprinkling of salt, MSG to taste

1. Here are some methods to prepare the fish:

a) Pour boiling water over fish in a bowl and drain well.
b) Marinade fish in the lime juice for 10 minutes. (most authentic way)

2. Wash the salted bitter gourd twice with plenty of water to remove the bitterness and some of the salt. It should still taste slightly bitter and salty.

3. Mix the fish with the lime juice and leave 10 minutes.

4. Mix everything together (using hands so the fish doesn't flake too much) and add more salt and lime juice to your liking. If you run out of lime juice by now, you may use rice or sushi vinegar.

5. Chill in fridge until ready to eat. Serve in a nice plate.

The raw fish gets cooked by the lime or vinegar, according to dad. Mom prefers to steam the fish until it’s cooked (for hygiene purposes) but dad disagrees (to maintain the chewier bite & smoother texture).

9 comments:

carpe diem said...

The bitter gourd is not blanched in hot water right? It's just sliced thinly raw? Based on the ingredients, I kinda feel its a very refreshing and nice dish. I shall try and then maybe post a blog on it. Thanks Sunshine.

Legolas said...

I don't know how to cook as well! I want to learn how to cook!

William said...

Thanks for sharing! This looks like something I saw in TV ages and ages ago. Yes, I think the lime would do the job of cooking the fish.

Shake Trees said...

carpe : the bitter gourd is not blanched in hot water as its already sliced thin. if its thick, then its better to blanch in hot water but that would destroy its vitamins.

hs said...

i never eat this dish b4 n i think it look delicious. thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

i cannot take this dish if you serve me, 'coz ada cili!!! cirit birit later lol




[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

carpe diem said...

The bitter gourd must be a young one. Yes. No blanching. Thanks Koala for confirming it.

SynchingZincInc said...

Me likey, freshness!

Little Dove said...

[carpe diem] Yes, it's not blanched in hot water. Eaten raw after careful washing. Thanks. :)

[Legolas] Let's attend a class together!

[William] Yupe, the lime cooks the fish.

[KoalaExpress] Thank you for the explaination. :)

[hs] Welcome. ^_^

[Ultraman Jino] It's not that spicy actually. :)

[SynchingZincInc] Salad lover? ;p