Tuesday, February 16, 2010

CNY the 3rd

Chinese New Year is never complete without visiting relatives, going for angpowthon or listening to dong-dong-chiang songs. I don’t know what happened to me this year but I had a sudden fascination to listen to those Chinese New Year songs. Some of my Chinese friends expressed their annoyance to such music. I think those songs just puts you into a festive mood and you just need to bear with it once in a year only.

Despite the current economic situation, people are quite generous with their ang pows. Maybe this is the first time my relatives see me in the span of five years. I have not made my appearance in the past 4 years of CNY as I was away studying for exams. An aunt gave me a four-figure ang pow money. I stared at her pretty long and she stared back at me for a long time. I hope she did not mistake me for another nephew.

I felt kind of old receiving all the ang pow. I guess being a student and unmarried still makes me eligible to receive ang pows. People my age at 23 or 24 are already working and some of them are even married! Most people forget your age and think you're very young when you tell them you are still studying. Medical students are still in school (5 years of suffering) when others who started their degree at the same time would have graduated and started working.

My brother saw my Korean cousin who's blossoming into a pretty teenager. He commented that he would have hit on her if she was a little older. I smacked him on the head for being so naughty and horny.

There is plenty of food during CNY, enough to feed a whole African village. And there were too many irresistible tidbits. It’s really a test for the health conscious. I’ve been eating so much that I noticed one pimple popping up at the corner of my right eyebrow.



This is a popular food from Little Dove’s tribe, the 'hinava' or raw fish salad. It is a form of salad with pieces of raw fish, bitter gourd, as well as other ingredients.



Despite looking barely legal and having my ID checked everytime when I tried to enter the Genting casino while all my friends breeze through the security, I felt even older when I see my nipple-sucking-bottle-tottling nieces and nephews.

Gugu gaga?

I know kids nowadays are crazy about transformers and Ben10.

Pointing to my cousin’s watch: Is that an Omnitrix?

Kiddy cousin with high-pithced voice: No. It’s a Power Rangers transforming device!

Little Dove: … [I thought Power Rangers was my generation]




I just sat on the floor observing my little cousins play. They are like little hamsters on Prozac, running like crazy all over the place. Mom thought I was babysitting. My brother thought I was emo. I was just amused by the little kids. This was the conversation between my 6-year-old and 3-year-old cousin.

6-year-old cousin: Can you talk?

3-year-old cousin: Hsdfghkodnfodngso

6-year-old cousin: How old are you?

3-year-old cousin: Yuosdkjfsodfsodnf

6-year-old cousin: So can you talk?

3-year-old cousin: Vosofdadfoaffoidf


Then they ran off happily to play somewhere. I stared in disbelief. I have no idea how they are able to communicate with each other. Maybe the 6-year-old was still able to recollect the gibberish baby speak he abandoned not too long ago. Well, kids. Hope your CNY was as amusing as mine!

16 comments:

carpe diem said...

So you finally was able to catch up with the rest of the clan after a hiatus of 4 over years. On Prozac and the hamsters...how uncanny of you. Hope their parents don't read this blog of yours.

William said...

The hinava sounds cool. Can I have the recipe or its just passed down to the tribe's daughter-in-laws? :P

Medie007 said...

4 figure ang pau???
i collect all also not so much...

Jaded Jeremy said...

Think what I just watched on tv was Ben 10 after Ben is a little older.

It's good you managed to go home this time lah. CNY is one of the 3 events available to meet relatives (the other two are wedding and funeral).

SynchingZincInc said...

Glad you're back for some real CNY gathering after these years. Would love to give Hinava a try :D

Gratitude said...

Wah, 4-figured angpow? does that include the cents? :P
+Ant+

Anonymous said...

4-figure? OMG!!! Is she looking for a god-son? I'm up for it. Hehehe...

I'm amazed too looking at how kids can mix and play along together even if they do not know each other. They warm up so fast. On the other hand, the parents who are the shy ones.

By the way, HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR to you!!!

reyion said...

hinava? Raw fish? Sabahan specialty? Eeekk!!! So, it taste bitter and salty and fishy? Or, is it like umai?

4 figure angpow?! ($)_($) *jumps in to snatch from Little Dove* MINE! I've got no angpow this year!!! *Gollum's shriek*

Genting? Cause you're baby-faced? T_T yea, understood. Most of the time, people kept assuming that my younger brother is actually my elder brother.

Go go Power Ranger!!! Mighty Morphin!!! XD (I want to be the yellow one)

We've heard of your CNY but not V day yet. How's it going with Prince Charming and you? (>_<)

Unknown said...

aiya 23 is still pok pok chui dont worry. i always see my neighbour babies, 1 and 3 years old, talking to each other and share milk. i wonder what they always talk about




[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

Emo-Happiness said...

Oo.... damn rich lo..liao
happy new year!!

Paul Figaro J said...

baby talk are very cute indeed!

Little Dove said...

[carpe diem] I doubt they read my bloggie. I wished I can be like the little kids. Imagine the boundless energy I would have. ;)

[William] I think it's passed to sons. But I am kitchen-challenged. I'll go ask dad. ;p

[Medie007] I think my aunt missed me too much. ;p

[Jaded Jeremy] Haha. You're so right.

[SynchingZincInc] I would've packed some for you. ;p

[Gratitude] It's six-figure with the cents! ;)

[Calvin] You willing to be a toyboy? ;p

[Rey Rey] It tasted like all you mentioned. Lol

No V-day. Hu Hu T_T

[Ultraman Jino] No one understands but it's just sooooo cuteeeee.

[Emo-Happiness] Happy Tiger Woo Hoo!!!

[Paul J] I couldn't agree more! ^_^

rotiboy said...

gong xi fa cai!!

There's one of my relatives asked me when I'm getting married.. I was like @#$%^&*... None of my relatives have ever asked me if I have a girlfriend, and now they skipped to marriage already... =_______="

carpe diem said...

I would love to have the recipe too. Maybe we can trade....I'll cook for you in return for the recipe.

Johnny said...

GOng Xi Fat Cai.. hehe!

p/s: jz back from trip.. hehe!
no line at home...

Little Dove said...

[carpe diem] Thank you for such a sweet offer. ;p

[Johnny] Hope you had a good trip. Happy Woo Hoo!