Saturday, March 28, 2009

A Mei and Little Dove

On Friday night, 20 March 2009, Asia’s Queen of Mandopop, A-Mei, left the Bukit Jalil National Stadium begging for more with her marvelous performance.

From the minute she came on stage, I knew A Mei was something special. With her powerful vocals and stage charisma, A Mei belted out her hits and effortlessly worked the crowd into a feverish pitch.


A Mei: I am so happy you did not forget me. May I introduce myself again? My name is Zhang Hui Mei, A Mei, long time no see. *takes a bow*

She strutted about the stage confidently, with the attitude of a seasoned performer, singing to a sold out concert of 18,000 fans. A Mei’s voice was absolutely stunning that night. Even when the backing band was at its loudest, her voice stood out like the peal of a bell on a quiet night.

The concert started punctually at 8.45pm sharp and lasted for 3 hours 15 minutes. Yay for punctuality.


Throughout the concert, A Mei kept me spellbound and captivated with that voice of hers, and by churning out the chart-topping hits one after another like Ni Shi Ai Wo De (You Do Love Me), Wo Yao Kuai Le (I Want Happiness), Yuan Lai Ni Shen Me Dou Bu Xiang Yao (You Actually Didn’t Want Anything), Ru Guo Ni Ye Ting Shuo (If You Have Heard So Too), Ren Zhi (Hostage), and her signature tune Ting Hai (Listen to the Sea).


Huge screens with lyrics flanked both sides of the stage. It was live karaoke. The entire concert turned into a mega sing-along during a medley: Wo Ke Yi Bao Ni Ma Ai Ren (Can I Hug You, My Love?), Jie Tuo (Release), Gei Wo Gan Jue (Feel), Yi Xiang Dao Ni Ya (Whenever I Think of You), Qian Shou (Hand in Hand) and Jie Mei (Sisters).

A Mei the diva mostly shimmied and swayed as she sang, her backup dancers were simply sizzling. Her eight svelte female dancers were hot, but her four strapping male dancers were undeniably even hotter. Just compare the gals’ bikinis over spandex bodysuits to the guys’ boxers and suspenders.

I thought A Mei has always radiated a healthy sex appeal, I was a little surprised with her live interpretation of the song 薇多莉亞的秘密 (Victoria’s Secret). A big bed, four semi naked hunks and a simulated sexy bed scene. It was sensual and did not seem raunchy in any way.

A Mei had a dozen costume changes that night. Having stars and sparkles as her theme, her concert gear included a diamante-studded roman soldier’s armour, a mini-tuxedo with thigh-high boots, a butterfly-sleeved floaty number and a wedding gown-inspired full-length dress. Her outfits were all dazzle dazzle and bling-bling. A-Mei left all her fans starry-eyed.


Her adoring fans screamed her name and declared their undying love, while tirelessly waving glowsticks as they bounced to the beat of every song. They were so high and screaming from the beginning till the end of the concert. Like they were on meth or alcohol or something.


Screaming fans at the concert.

The list of songs she sang in her concert:

记得
真实
我要快乐
你是爱我的
原来你什么都不想要
一个人跳舞
Yes or No
Are You Ready
爱怎么稀罕
Bad Boy
简爱
别在伤口撒盐
我无所谓
蓝天
如果你也听说
人质
我恨爱上你
夏天的男孩

薇多莉亞的秘密
站在高岗上
永远的快乐
A级娱乐
听海
Lagenda
解脱
我可以抱你吗?爱人
背叛
牵手
给我感觉
三天三夜
High high high
姐妹


A Mei sang for 3 hours, never did she go out of pitch, and not a single strand of hair out of place. I think only people blessed with such talent are able to do that. She was born to sing. That night, A Mei sang her out, and her fans cried their hearts out.

I used to be a 55.9% A Mei fan. After her concert, I am now a 100% A Mei fan.

p/s: First part of trilogy.

15 comments:

Paul Figaro J said...

so nice! too bad i cannot make it for the concert. :(

J.L said...

I'm too banana for that :(

MrBunnyBan said...

Glad to see you had a good time. :D Did you go with your friends?

Jaded Jeremy said...

"Her adoring fans screamed her name and declared their undying love, while tirelessly waving glowsticks as they bounced to the beat of every song."

You screamed? ;-)

Unknown said...

yeah!! Amei is the BEST!!!

hehe.. the song list "sounds" familiar to me... haha!

Anonymous said...

glad u enjoyed urself! :)

Anonymous said...

She's really a geat entertainer, and her wardrobe is nice too, unlike that Fish Leong whose costumes are just simply gross.

+Ant+

Kihu said...

i'm soo going to tears when she sang Ren Zhi where the stage is soo beautiful!!!! and I scream my lung out that day and till now my sore throat have yet to get full recovery ahaha!

sgboy said...

wow thanks for that write up it was as if I was there.....

A mei Rocks

savante said...

Heard everyone raved about her concert! She must have done every song in her repertoire!

Jason said...

So nice~~ Wish can go too but expensive ler :(

Little Dove said...

[Paul J] She might return next year. :)

[Chester] I am also a banana.

[Ban] I went alone, but had a good time nonetheless.

[Jaded Jeremy] The fans did the screaming mostly, I just echo back sometimes.

[宏轩 ] She's good. List researched from all A Mei fans' website, including yours. Thank you 宏轩 ! Hope you pass your finals with flying colours. ^_^

[JD Cole] I did, Queen B. ;p

[*Anton*] You watched Fish Leong? I think she's a good singer. A Mei has a dress theme for her councert. It was all bling bling. My eyes also went blink blink after that.

[A Stranger] Now I recall A Mei asking whose screaming voice she heard when she was on stage. It was actually yours, now I know. ;p

[sgboy] A Mei's terrific! Thanks for dropping by.

[savante] She did! She's an A list crowd pleaser.

[Jason] There's always a next concert. I'm posting up some videos soon.

Unknown said...

LD,

thx! today is my last day.. SHORT CASES...

haha! juz hope for a PASS due to my laziness (u'll know from my blog)!!!
dun hope for flying colours lah... instead worry of RED colour.. ha!

can call me DING... Hehee!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to being a total A-mei fan like me!

Little Dove said...

[宏轩] Hi Ding. I'm sure you will do well. From your blog, I can see that you are well prepared and confident. Well, confidence is an important ingredient to succeed in exams.

[D] Hello fellow A Mei fan. Nice to meet you. ^_^