Friday, July 30, 2010

My white coat and me


The long-sleeved white coat has been a symbol of the medical profession for more than a century. The doctor’s white coat is a white lab coat is worn over the shirt. White coats confer a special status and sets doctors apart from other professions. It is also seen as a way of giving credibility to the profession.

I become self-conscious when I am walking around the hospital corridors in my white coat. Eyes become fixed on people in white coats, from the patients to the cleaners. Conduct is very important and I try not to laugh too loud at my friend’s hilarious jokes in case patients start to think I am kooky. Patients in this country still expect their doctors to act and dress in a certain manner. That is why doctors here still have to dress in shirts and tie in a hot, humid weather. Moreover, doctors have to be prim, proper (no spiky hair) and serious. Getting all these right (the dressing and serious disposition) will earn patient’s trust. There millions of patients in a crowded hospital and all eyes ready to pounce on a shabbily dressed and ‘too hip’ doctor while waiting impatiently for their turn to see the doctor inside the consultation room.

Months ago, I remember walking past a row of seated patients and they whispered to each other, “This doctor looked so young, he must be a student or trainee doctor.” That wasn’t a good comment, because their comment reflected that I was young, inexperienced and may not be good enough to treat them.

There are many stories about doctors, their white coat and the law. Some used it to escape a speeding ticket by the traffic policemen with the excuse that they were rushing for an emergency in the hospital. Some even carry a small bag or pint of expired blood inside their car. Some doctors come up with ingenious ways to avoid summons.

I see the white coat as a symbol of power that brings a lot of good is used correctly and responsibly, besides protecting my nice shirt from blood and body fluids in the wards. When a patient dies in the middle of the night, the hospital silent and eerie, wearing the white coat gives a sense of duty and security, removing the fear of having to deal with a dead body.

One fine morning, I was busy running between the orthopaedics ward and clinic juggling my duties. Orthopaedics (bone) is a major (important) department in Malaysia compared to other countries because we have a high rate of accidents here. I saw a middle-age, small built lady in her wheelchair. She was very independent and was maneuvering the wheelchair on her own. As the clinic ended around late noon, I noticed her leaving the clinic. I offered to help and asked her if she came with someone. She was alone but informed me that she was capable handling herself. I respected that and let her be. I always offer help but will step back depending on situation and offer help again when they really need it. Sometimes, it’s better to let patients do things that they are able to perform on their own. Their disability sets them back but letting them do certain things themselves gives them a sense of confidence.

I bumped into this feisty wheelchair-bound lady again at the entrance. This time, she looked a little distressed.

Little Dove: Waiting for your transportation home?

Feisty wheelchair lady: No. I am waiting for taxi. It’s not easy to get one.

There were a long line of taxis at the taxi stand front of the hospital.

Little dove: There are so many taxis here. You need help?

Feisty wheelchair lady: It’s okay. There are many taxis but they hardly want to ferry passengers like me. It’s not that they are unkind. Taxis have NGV tanks in the car boot and most of them are not able to fit my wheelchair. That’s why I get refused most of the time.

Little Dove: *understands the situation now* Where are you staying?

Feisty wheelchair lady: Kampung Baru.

Still in my white coat, I flagged a taxi, and with my sweetest smile, asked the taxi driver if he could send her back. He looked hesitant and I smiled some more. He agreed and I quickly pushed feisty wheelchair lady to the taxi before he changed his mind. She declined my help to carry her into the taxi. With the little amount of strength left in her legs and using her arm power, she pushed herself into the taxi’s backseat. Boy, she was strong. I folded her wheelchair and saw the taxi driver quickly running to help me. The taxi driver was helpful and respectful to me. We managed to fit the wheelchair into the NGV tank-ocuppied car boot of the Proton Iswara taxi. I wonder if having a white coat on me made things easier. Or was it my kiddy smile.

Feisty wheelchair lady: Thank you doc!

She smiled in gratitude and waved goodbye as the taxi sped off. I waved back and smiled, not because I did a good deed of the day, but for the lesson she taught me, in this classroom called life.

19 comments:

simonlover said...

Now, i hope you will maintain your good-hearted characteristics when it comes to your junior docs in the future ya! Muacks! Hehe.

simonlover said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cookiedonut said...

a good deed goes a long way... good for you =)

Shake Trees said...

next time i go ur hospital, can u get me taxi also? :P

ur a gud doc. :)

Lucifer said...

aww....you're so sweet and kind. hahaha...

hmm not a fan of white coats. i think they're a source of infection.

but i do agree that they confer a special status.

William said...

Nilai Moral: Baik Hati.
You can don something different ala Witch Doctor. :P
Can a folded wheelchair be loaded at the backseat?

J-boy said...

Amazing!
Most ppl would just keep an eye closed at situations like this.

I hope great things come your way!

savante said...

Fear of the dead body? :) Plenty more to come!

Jaded Jeremy said...

What did she teach you?

I hope I'll be treated by doctors as kind as you if I do go to hospital in Malaysia.

leyion said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
reyion said...

sorry for posting with the wrong acc up there. LOL careless me. In my case, it's my fear of mutated bodies. Well, don't be selfish to lend a hand to those who really need one. What goes around comes around *thumbs up and wiggle*

your kiddy smile + the white coat = super combo. My Dad used to tell me that the white coat actually ward the 'evil spirits' off in the hospitals. XD

Unknown said...

a very kind doctor. malaysia needs more doctor like you ^^ but doctors are also inferior to me, especially when they have needles in their hands




[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

Pike-chan said...

I believe that's the satisfaction to have the power to assist and make someone's day meaningful... I always admire people in white coat in the hospital...

Little Fox said...

It's nice to know that there are still doctors like you..most doctors ive met just wanna get me out of the clinic fast! Its kinda tiring and sad. Thats why i dont like seeing the doc...

the fox is still a lil vary of doctors these days O_O"

- a L E x - said...

Hmm...I bumped into ur blog while blog hopping :).

Lovely blog you have! And I would have to say, it was ur smile who made the taxi driver say yes in sending the lady home. A smile makes a huge difference! Just that not many ppl are aware of it ;)

dummy said...

What a kind doctor of you, I bet with your kind attitude, you could be a great one someday! Keep it up, dude!

the penile poet said...

My bf is a doctor too. That white coat sure attracts more than respect. You will be great doctor one day, if not already one now.

jamie said...

omg you're probably the best intern doctor i have ever heard of...

let me know where you work so i know where to refer all my friends and family in Malaysia :)

Little Dove said...

[simonlover] I definitely will. ^_^

[cookiedonut] If we treat others nicely, the world would be a better place. :)

[Koaa Express] Sure! I will personally escort you ;p

[Lucifer] White coats can be quite tedious to wash when stained. I think we should do away with ties too. Another source of infection.

[William] I need to source the witch doctor mask from Africa! ;p

It's too big to be loaded into the back passenger seat. The metals of the wheelchair might scratch or spoil the backseat as well. :)

[J-boy] I'll help as long as I got the time and energy. I'm sure yoiu'll do the same. :)

[savante] Loud crying kids are the most scary! Also the blood and strong liqour smell in the labour room. Eeks!

[Jaded Jeremy] The lesson she taught me was to stop and help when we can. There are many good doctors, just they are overworked, tired and disillusioned with too many patients sometimes.

[reyion] I hope the white coat continues to bring miracles into patients' lives.

[Ultraman Jino] I'm flattered. Thank you. Don't b e scared of needles, they're just lifeless things! ;p

[pikey] It's important to wear the white coat responsibly. With it, also comes a lot of stress and lawsuits.

[Little Fox] Someday, you'll meet a kind and caring doctor who touches your life. I did, and there were more than one. ^_^

[-aLEx-] Thank you. It's really sweet of your compliment. Reading your bloggie makes me hungry. The pics are amazing!

[dummy] Thanks! ^_^

[the penile poet] Seven inches of connectivity. By far, that is the most creative way I've heard to describe a penis. ;)

p/s: I am already a doctor.

[jamie] Thank you. I'm sure you would do the same if you were in my shoes. I love the way you write your bloggie! ^_^