Thursday, April 23, 2009

Paeds or Psych or Obs & Gynae?

I got a C+ for my paediatrics long case exam. My mom exclaimed over the phone:

“You never get a C in your life!”

There goes my dream to become a paediatrician.

I think my parents know me very well. Before enrolling into medical school, they asked me to give it a very, very serious thought before considering medicine as my career path. They thought I would make a better business person. They even made me submit a proposal. So I gave them a five year proposal outlining my plans and goals. I’m very stubborn but also very determined. Proposal was approved after great scrutiny. ^_^

I got excellent results for my psychiatry and obstetrics/gynaecology exam. It’s funny. I don’t even like pussies. I nearly fainted the first time I witnessed a live childbirth. I felt blood draining from my head, cold sweat on my forehead and my legs turning into jelly. No, it was not the vagina, or the sight of blood. It was the screaming. Prolonged, painful screams. Boy, I have no idea such screaming can be so powerful until it can induce fainting. The poor mother was in pain and had to push very hard for the baby to come out. It's really scary!

Some time ago, during my attachment at a GP (General Practioner) clinic, an Indian female patient said to me,

“You’ll grow up to be a handsome doctor. Must become a gynae ok? Sure many girls will look for you. I will also go to your clinic and ask all my friends to see you.”

My reaction? Like the picture below:

-.-'

Studying medicine has never been easy. Honestly, I’ve never worked so hard all my life. In the past, I enjoyed taking exams because it meant no more homework and holidays are right after exams. I felt very relaxed during exams in school. It’s a completely different story nowadays. Now, exams are stressful. I think medical exams give me palpitations and a certain degree of alopecia (hair loss). Have you seen the number of balding male medical students? Worry not, yours truly still have a head full of hair.


Head full of fluffy hair


It’s not easy to score high marks when it comes to medical exams. Passing the exam is already an accomplishment itself. It doesn’t make any difference if you were a top student. Your coursemates would have also been top students in their respective schools or state. However, you are not competing against each other. The only competition is yourself. Upon entering medical school, everyone starts from zero.

Now, time for me to go back to studying.

12 comments:

J.L said...

We have to learn to crawl before we can learn to walk.

I know Little Dove can do it. Be positive.:)

Darren said...

little dove, i SO understand u. guess we're all facing something similar. i used to have my own setbacks too.

ehh...i fared well in O&G too. And it's an area i'll not choose to specialise in the future.

V said...

we like the principal on the last paragraph!

so true indeed!

we wish u all the bext for ur future undertakings! :)

Johnny said...

Haha! I was top student once... but, 'red-eyes' make me sick.. they tot im not working as hard as theirs.. so, I was playing/relaxing like hell during my final yr... enjoy life mah...

not worthy.. unless it's the specialty u like..

guess Wat.. I got A for my O&G, which I hate the most.. and, jz a borderline pass for my paeds.. preparing myself for MRCPCH... do talk to me about that.. hehe..

no no.... u'l sure be a gd dr or pediatrician... hehe..

Paul Figaro J said...

行行出状元。Wish you luck in whatever field you into.

nase said...

Failures are the Mothers of success and it's a humbling experience. But don't be disheartened, my Lil Dovey as they are just momentary setbacks that serve as motivation to strive for the better. I do hope to see you as a Paediatrician one day as it takes someone special to excel in this specialty, :-)

savante said...

And it's years and years of exams more :) But it's good to have faith in yourself.

Janvier said...

Well probably you did Gynae so well because you took a detached, clinical interest at it instead. :P Alopecia? Lies! :P

Medie007 said...

How come it's seems so easy for everyone to ace ObGyn? And yet I was like, struggling to even pass my papers... yes, ObGyn included! Paeds is like super hard to score la... I think mine's pretty bad too. :(

Anonymous said...

Submitting a proposal to your parents seemed so farnee! 1st time I've heard about it. ^_^

I have a feeling that you'll do well.

+Ant+

Pike-chan said...

Add oil ya!! and those patients words are encouraging.. and remember why u wanna be in the medicine field in the first place... it will inspire you again...

I think Obs&Gyn is good money, almost all women with have children ;)

Jaded Jeremy said...

You're still young. Still have time. So give it your best!