Sunday, April 6, 2008

Cutting it off

I decided to cut my hair. I wanted to change to a new hairstyle. As the saying goes, “the hair makes the man,” well if there's really such a saying. My hair’s too soft and fine. I usually leave it natural and do not comb or wax it. This time, I decided to get a professional hairstylist to change my hair. I liked what my friend did with his hair. It was not too short, neat and still kind of trendy. He got it done at Jantzen Midvalley for RM70. And he only goes for a haircut three times a year, as it not cheap. Expensive but still go. So vain. ;p

All this while, I have been cutting my hair at at the speedy RM12 haircut booth (they increased to RM13 last year). I have been very satisfied with the service. Quick and economical. However, with this change, I wanted something different. I do not trust the speed barbers in giving me a new look. So I started searching for a hairstylist, and something less expensive than my friend’s money-fleecing hairdresser.

In the end, I settled for a hairstylist recommended by my mother. She managed to obtain the handphone number of the hairstylist from a colleague’s friend’s sister-in-law’s cousin. Well, this guy is so popular to the extent that he is always fully booked. Nobody I know has ever tried him but his name was on everybody’s lips. Even my sister whom I exchange exactly two words per day (hello and bye) has heard about him. My mother has warned me in advanced that I might not secure an appointment. She has seen people queuing at his saloon. He is popular cutting hair for young working professionals especially those in marketing and banks. So I called his personal handphone number and made an appointment.

Little Dove: Hello. I am Little Dove. Is this ‘the’ hairstylist?
Hairstylist: Yes (vainly).
Little Dove: I heard from many people that you are a damn good hairdresser, all the way from KL to Singapore. And some say Batang Berjuntai (what an erotic town name).
Hairstylist: Really? Thank you! (not so vain now)
Little Dove: Can I make an appointment with you tomorrow morning?
Hairstylist: Wait, I check. (after 5 seconds) Sure. Time?
Little Dove: 9.30am ok?
Hairstylist: Ok(suddenly), wait, wait! I only go to work at 10.30am. You come at this time lah (acting vain again).
Little Dove: Ok. Thank you. Ta ta.

As I entered the saloon, with me being the first customer, I still had to wait for the hairstylist to get ready. He was getting his hair washed and blown by his shampoo boy. Before I plunged my butt onto the seat, I asked for the price. RM50 for a haircut. Still affordable, so there begins my adventure for a new haircut. It’s time for a fresh new me.

He asked me how I wanted to have my hair cut. I told him I wanted something simple and easy to manage. He kept commenting on how I possess very gentle (‘see mun’ in Cantonese) features. He is going to cut my hair short, making it look neater and more sophisticated. Oh dear, not too short I told him. I was not too happy at the thought of having to start using wax. I have never used wax, rubber, mat or clay on my hair. I have kept my hair long for two months and was thinking he would have permed, made it wavy and stylish like those Taiwanese male singers. However, he already had a preconceived notion on my occupation. He thought I was working as a lawyer. Guess my mother was right on the part where he mostly cuts hair for professionals, not Ah Bengs. Argh, I should have never said, simple and easy to manage!

Hairstylist: Are you a lawyer? (People always have this assumption that I'm a lawyer, but I'll save this story for another time)
Little Dove: No, I am a student.
Hairstylist: Oh.

Then he completely sort of ignores me and began talking to the rich tai-tai sitting beside me.

Hairstylist: You know, I bought a new handbag for my mother. Only cost RM2000.
Tai-tai: Wah, so cheap ah.
Hairstylist: Yes, some more it was not on sale.
Tai-tai: My handbag here cost RM3000, just a simple bag but I like very much.
Hairstylist: That day I bought myself a nice LV bag (a manbag I assume) for RM7000. It is so worth it.
Tai-tai: Ya, LV bag so very nice!

I chuckled to myself. Rich people would never brag about their wealth. They rather keep it to themselves. Afraid people might start borrowing money or steal from them.

I did feel a difference getting a haircut from a professional hairstylist compared to a 10-minute speed barber. I was satisfied but my hair is now too short. :(

The end result: Short, neat hair that needs ‘mud’ application everyday. I do not want to buy the small RM60 jar of mud he is selling so I went looking for one at Watsons. There is no ‘mud’ for sale in the market, thereby I had to settle on Gatsby’s styling clay. Or maybe I could steal some pink Gatsby rubber from my brother when he’s not around. ;p

I still think my new hair is too short. :(


7 comments:

Little Prince said...

ah. finally a peek of skin. hehe.
*start replying my email or i'll spank you!*

i gave away all my mud. but i know where to get them cheaper. :P

William said...

I buy my mud at MYR50 a can, and it lasts me for a year. Not too short la. Show us more!

Btw, what an annoying stylist.

Little Dove said...

[Daniel Henry] May I know where to buy mud? :)

[William] That must be a very good can of mud. ;)

The hairstylist was...erm, but he's skillful though.

Willk said...

what's the name of the stylist? May i know the salon name as well

Little Dove said...

Dear William,

I'm sorry to inform you that the saloon is not in kl. I cut my hair when I was back at my hometown. Planning to get a new haircut?

Jason said...

I like guys with short hair... tidy mah. And I start to grumble when my hair's getting long.

Little Dove said...

[Jason] Guys with short, sleek hairstyle and smart office wear makes a killer combination to me.