Thursday, April 24, 2008

Staying sane in an insane world

"You're so jovial."

My friend told me as we were having lunch together. I always thought I am a sad little boy. Maybe I have changed over the years, or I have always been a happy boy.

I went swimming today. Yay. Being able to go swimming on a weekday is rare. Did my 20 laps in one hour. Haven't swam in a long time. Now my arms are aching. (O).(O)

I was feeling a little down today. Had an evaluation by my favourite lecturer. Everyone gets a patient with either a case of chest pain, breathlessness or asthma. I got a special case. I didn't do very well compared to my last exam. Maybe to console me, the specialist told me that he also got the same case for his postgraduate exam and he flunked that station because he couldn't make the right diagnosis. I would normally run when I am stressed. It helps me clear my mind. However, today I chose swimming. It forces me to relax (or else I drown).

Tad Pohl (my housemate) also had a practical exam. He had been acting weird for the past week. He skipped classes, isolates himself and only mumbles unintelligible replies when I asked him if he is okay. If he is not wandering aimlessly like a lost soul around the house, he would lock himself up in the room. Yesterday, he broke down. His parents drove all the way from JB to see him. They were in their office attire when they reached the house. I think they rushed from work the moment they got his distress call. They brought him out for dinner and left back for JB later on the same night. Imagine driving 10 hours on the road in a day. That's how unconditional parental love can be. Tad Pohl was a little better after that, though he was still acting strange. A housemate and friend can only do so much, but family are the ones that gave him the balance he needed to stay sane (studying medicine can make people go crazy).

I brought Tad Pohl out for dinner today. He seemed to be laughing at every word I said. I didn't know I can crack jokes. I am glad he feels better now.

I have observed medical students coming in different manners and forms. There are the obssesively harworking ones, the eccentric ones, the deviants, the adroits, the unconventionals, queers, the deathlike silent ones and loud ones. I think I am a sane student. Plain and boring maybe. But at least I have not lost my mind yet. I find some specialists or professors a little kooky. I guess that's what studying too much can do to you. Prof Tess Steckle (my nutty professor) calls me a go-getter. Now my peers are calling me that too. I hope it's not a bad thing.

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you have decided to look beyond the imperfections.
Little Dove

4 comments:

William said...

THe problem, we always cannot contemplate failure. But if we always do, there is no drive to succeed. The balance..... not easy la.

Medie007 said...

whoa... lots of happenings eh? hope all goes well.

and now u got me all wondering... i thought u were posted in kk. or u applied back to the penisula? LOL

Little Dove said...

[William] How true...

[Ah Bong] I am everywhere. ;p That's a very nice birthday watch.

johnny said...

IM CRACKING MY HEAD...

WHO are you?!?!?!
i cant find you!!!

and, im leaving... sad!
[johnylittlesecret@gmail.com]