Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My car had a massive heart attack

I was having a bad day. Actually, I was having a bad week. First my car, stalled in the middle of the road. Three days later, my car got bumped by another car while it was innocently parked.

On that fateful night, I received a distress call from a friend. She needed a lift urgently and I tried to help as much as I could. I dropped her off at her location and bid her farewell.

As I was happily driving home, I started hearing funny sounds coming from my car.

“Impossible,” I thought to myself.

My car was fully serviced recently. Engine oil, brake fluid and everything else has been changed or tuned to optimum condition. I even changed my car battery a month ago. As my car slowed down at the traffic light, I noticed the headlight’s beginning to dim, the radio stopped playing and the aircond puffing like it was out of breath. As the traffic light turned red, the headlights died and my car stalled. I tried restarting the engine. It wouldn’t start. I kept my cool. I tried a second time. Still, my car did not want to start. The usual click that we always hear when turning the ignition key of the car was absent.

A million things ran through my mind. Is it the battery? Is it the engine? Actually it only two things came to mind as I know nothing about cars.

It did not sound like a flat battery. This was my first time coming across a problem like this. My car did not start no matter how I tried.

My car was right in front of the traffic light and it was obstructing traffic. I still maintained my calm. The traffic light turned green, and there were a few cars behind my car. I tried switching on the hazard lights. They did not seem to work. I kept my cool.

I got out of my car. It was raining. I took out an umbrella and shielded myself from the cold, night rain. I walked to the back of my car and waved to the cars behind me, signalling them to overtake my car. I am not panicking yet.

I got into the car and tried starting my car a couple of times. I gave up because it could not start. I tried the hazard lights again. It was not working. I was alone and it was dark. I felt helpless. Panic flashed across my forehead.


I stood behind my car and played “traffic police” (minus the hot uniform), out of concern that some speeding car would ram into the back of my stationary car. I tried stopping a few cars. But no one stopped to offer help. I wanted to push the car but there was no space at the side of the road. Furthermore, there was no one to help me.

I called my car’s auto insurance for help. I explained my problem to the lady operator. She insisted that it was the engine problem and there was no way I can fix the car at that moment. She was sending a tow truck over. I stopped her and asked for another alternative. I requested for a mechanic to come over and try jump starting my car. Again, she dampened my hopes, telling me that the engine is dead and it would not work.

Let’s just say, if the engine is to a car what the heart is to a human, then, my car had a massive heart attack that night.

I insisted that she send a mechanic over to look and try jump starting my car. If that does not work, I will call for a tow truck. We reached an agreement. I will wait for the mechanic to come.

I continued standing behind my car, frantically waving my right hand to motion cars to stay away from my stalled car while my left hand clutched the umbrella and hand phone in case the mechanic called.

Some passed by my car and slowed down to stare (and probably took down Little Dove’s plate number to buy 4D: I hope they lose). Others passed by with looks of annoyance on their faces (I hope they get wrinkles). A taxi driver slowed down, lowered his window and scolded me for blocking the road and not turning the hazard lights on (I hope he stop getting passengers).

It was a humbling experience. I didn’t plan to stall my car and obstruct traffic. Some more I got scolded for nothing. In the dark, I was afraid of cars crashing into me standing behind my car. I now fully empathize with traffic police personnel (except those setting up unnecessary road blocks)!

It seemed like an eternity as I waited for help to come.

No one stopped. No one except for one car that was driving on the opposite side of the road. The car made an illegal turn, went against traffic and parked right in front of my stalled car. The car door opened and a man stepped out from the car.

To be continued…



7 comments:

savante said...

Aiks. What a disastrous incident! You must have been terrified. Poor boy! Hope you were rescued by the tow trucks in time.

William said...

Stranded in the rain! Though one only saw that in the movies. So cham.

Cars can have myocardial infarctions?!

Legolas said...

That's one of the reasons why I refuse to drive even though I have a car.

Medie007 said...

woooo... if i were u i wouldn't know what to do... i know nuts abt cars. :P

Little Dove said...

[Savante] The tow trucks did not come. However, something else did...

[William] My car had an acute myocardial infarction! T_T

[Legolas] No choice but have to drive to be independent.

[Ah Bong] I know nuts too. ;p

Jason said...

aiks.. poor thing. I know how you feel...

Little Dove said...

[Jason] The first time my car stalled. :(