Monday, March 30, 2009

First day back in the medical ward

Today is the first day of my new posting. I’m back in the medical ward. Same posting as Bong. ;p

Briefing was at 8am this morning followed by ward work. Case presentation with the specialist was at 2pm. I volunteered to present my case as no one else did. Everyone seemed to be having Monday Blues. I was feeling excited to start my new posting. Lots of new opportunities to learn and I thought the first day itself should not go to waste. I managed clerk a patient and obtained her full history. It takes only 10 minutes to take a complete history and 10-15 minutes to perform a full physical examination.

After taking a detailed medical history from the patient, I still had some time on my hands. It was an elderly lady well into her 80s. I think patients should always be approached holistically because sometimes, certain problems may be missed by the doctor. I put away my pen and notebook. Sometimes, medical students and doctors are so busy jotting down notes that they forgot to look at the patient. I began to have a conversation with her. Little did I know, I unknowingly explored the psychological aspect of her illness. Dementia, Alzheimer’s, pseudodementia and maybe a major depressive disorder.

The sweet old lady who was so friendly was actually sad. Tears began to well in her eyes. I held her hands and asked, “Nenek, kenapa sedih?” (Granny, why are you sad?). I always believed that heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water. Then I realized I didn’t have a hanky with me. I ran off to get tissue paper. As I went back to her, I wiped the little teardrop at the corner of her eyes. Suddenly I felt like I was being watched. A group of trainee nurses was standing behind me and looked at what I was doing. I smiled and said patient was sad. They went, “Aah”, dispersed and went back to doing their work.

I wonder what is going to happen in the ward tomorrow.

Time to sleep…good night.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

and why did the trainee nurses stand and watch only?

u hv such a good heart my dear~ :)

Unknown said...

u see, u are going to be a good doctor! :D

exam ends on this THUR..
Hooray!

请联络我!谢谢!

savante said...

Time to perfect your skills at clerking. And oh yes, you need to see her wholistically. At least while you're a med student!

Medie007 said...

okay. honestly. i feel disgusted with med students who are over-enthusiasted with going to the ward and clerk patients and what not.

but i pledged that i need to change! i'm a sucker for bed and entertainment... and i guess those are not helping me big time. hahhaa. so need to learn from u lar dove.

salute salute...

how can you obtain the history in 10 mins? u've asked everything about the past med history? complications of chronic diseases, compliance to meds, complications of meds taken... i mean, i think i could finish mine in 40 mins, but then again, since u're already in your later part of clinicals, i suppose it comes with practice eh? :D

all the best!

William said...

I agree that doctors should not get desensitized and treat the patient as a person rather than just another case...

Leon Koh said...

you are being so sweet.. that's really hard work, you are amazing

Kihu said...

oh u're there too.. uhmnn guess u will be seeing me..sometimes onli yah :P

Sam said...

It's rare to see doctors reach out to see a person as a person, rather than just another case. Even if you are a med student.

Fable Frog said...

OMG~ i am falling in love with you~ :P

joshua said...

I read your blog just before I left for the clinic, and little did I know I would have one of the best days as a medical student today itself!!!

Ahhh I am a happy boy today!

And we just gotta keep pushing on!!!

Dove, you are an inspiration! =)

Anonymous said...

Good boi! That's what a good doctor should be like. ^_^

+Ant+

MrBunnyBan said...

Wow. I'm seriously impressed by your work.

Anonymous said...

Awwww...tat's truly sweet and sensitive of u, lil' dove. U wudva healed te nenek lots.
I wish i know u.

:) AQ

Jaded Jeremy said...

Wah it's like drama minggu ini, with the prerequisite kind-hearted medical student :-) That's the way to go.

Glog said...

What's withold ladies and hospitals...

Johny said...

4th year UPM medical student..
that's impressive!!!

well done!

Serm said...

it's the nenek's luck to have you there that day :)

Anonymous said...

Keep It Up! :)

Cyclohelix

Little Dove said...

[JD Cole] They were wondering what I was doing.

[宏轩] There's still so much for me to learn. Your exam's over. You're a free man now. Well, at least before housemanship. ;p

[Savante] I understand. It becomes totally different when you start working as a doctor.

[Medie007] You will change Bong. Everyone goes through a transition period. I believe the transformation is taking place as we speak. Starting with ASNA! ;p

It's important to learn how to take history quickly and accurately, for exams purposes in future. I started when I just began clinicals. You're intelligent, I believe you'll have no problem doing the same.

[William] That's what they are trying to teach medical students nowadays.

[Leon Koh] Thank you. :)

[A Stranger] Where? *scratches head*

[Sam] They are some, and I'm sure you will come across them when you do your training in future.

[Fable Frog] Same here. Always love the humour in your bloggie. ;p

[Joshua] It's the other way round. You are my inspiration.

[*Anton*] Felt like someone patting me on the head when you said "Good boi" ;p

[Ban] Thanks. You would have done the same if you were in my shoes.

[Anonymous] Hi AQ. Nenek has been discharged. Happy for her.

[Jaded Jeremy] Thank you.

[Glog] Damsels in distress maybe? ;p

[Johny] Maybe. ;p

[Serm] It was my privilege to see nenek that day. She taught me lots of things.

[Cyclohelix] Thank you. Looking forward to new postings on your bloggie.

Johnny said...

medical ward or psy ward?! ha!
coz, UPM 4th yr wil not be posted to internal medidine, rite?! LOL