
Graduation is always a defining moment in our lives. I think I made my parents quite proud of me when I had a special achievement in addition to graduating as a doctor. All those years of hard work and stress really paid off. I remember not sleeping at all on certain nights, especially during my last six months of medical studies, to pour over the endless stream of information that was needed for me to pass my exams and equip myself to be a good doctor.
Graduation is also a sad day for me, because I know I would be leaving KL soon, leaving my Prince Charming, to begin a new life back at home.
It makes me excited and yet afraid, to start working. It’s time for me to begin the next phase of life. We all have mixed feelings when facing the unexpected, don’t we?
Mom always has words of wisdom for me whenever she thinks I need it, in the most unlikely of situations. She knows me through and through, like the back of her hand. She knows my personality, she knows how ambitious I am and she might even already know that I am gay. Upon graduation, she only has two advices for me:
1. Do not go into politics
2. Marry a good girl
The second one stresses me out a little as I can’t delay it with excuses of busy studying. I am looking forward to working and gaining my financial independence. When I am older and more stable in life, the time would be ripe for me to live the way I want. Financial independence and wisdom. Aren't those important things that you can fall back on, when you finally come out to your parents?
Graduation is also a sad day for me, because I know I would be leaving KL soon, leaving my Prince Charming, to begin a new life back at home.
It makes me excited and yet afraid, to start working. It’s time for me to begin the next phase of life. We all have mixed feelings when facing the unexpected, don’t we?
Mom always has words of wisdom for me whenever she thinks I need it, in the most unlikely of situations. She knows me through and through, like the back of her hand. She knows my personality, she knows how ambitious I am and she might even already know that I am gay. Upon graduation, she only has two advices for me:
1. Do not go into politics
2. Marry a good girl
The second one stresses me out a little as I can’t delay it with excuses of busy studying. I am looking forward to working and gaining my financial independence. When I am older and more stable in life, the time would be ripe for me to live the way I want. Financial independence and wisdom. Aren't those important things that you can fall back on, when you finally come out to your parents?

24 comments:
Congratulations on your graduation! The reality of life will greet you soon! Where's your hometown????
congrats on graduating!! You may now switch your excuse from "busy studying" to "busy working"...
Congratulations! Another advice: Don't change your good self. And keep writing!
A new chapter begins.
Congrats on graduating!! I spent 4 years studying in the UK and now I am back in Sabah and serving my dearly beloved people.. From your blog I have gathered that you are a fellow Sabahan as well.. I guess your return to Sabah will surely going to benefit the people who are indeed in need of your service..
It's if you can't find love now.. am sure along the way you will find one.. besides.. love is secondary anyway.. well at least for me.. I don't like love related problems to get in the way for me to achieve my dreams..
HAHAHA.. yeah I would always going to stress out whenever my parents would ask me about girlfriends in the past.. but now I have come out to them it feels so much better.. Thank goodness I have such loving parents and supportive siblings..
Go on and celebrate!! ^^
finally off you go from the pressure cooker in med school. Congratulations! As for your mum, I'm sure she will come to the terms about your sexuality. Take it slow. Since they will eventually know one day.
Or, maybe she knows but prefer to ignore it. hehe~
Congratulations on your graduation! Where's your home? In another state? You're not KL-born?
happy gradding day dovey! all the best back in your hometown!
congrats on your grad! i've been following your blog for a few weeks dy n really like the way you write...
hope you will b a fantastic doc and achieve all tht you desire in life...i reckon tht it is not easy, being different..but i think you're very brave n smart to brace yourself through this..i admire your courage n attitude for life...
ready to fly liao...
Congrats on your graduation :)
Welcome to another part of life.
congrats! now to start your journey into absolute independence :)
nice writing btw.
I guess every queer's mum always keep a hope that their son would eventually marry a girl. But I think time will tells. So, just let it be :)
Congrats :D!
Congratulations!
Stay focused. New environment to adapt. Experience. Social skills. Heart :)
PS: the prince may exhibit changes due to withdrawal syndrome, it's high time you see how he reacts :)
Helix
Congratulation! Wish u can adapt new environment soon.
[Twilight] Thank you YB. It is at the coordinates of Latitude: 5° 58' 60 N, Longitude: 116° 4' 0 E. ;p
[Jason] Good excuse!
[Legolas] Thanks Leggie. :)
[William] So it does.
[byronmc] You're blessed to have such understanding parents.
[reyion] Out from one pressure cooker to go into another one. Maybe she knows but I know for sure she will not accept it.
[CJ] I'm not KL-born. I am from Latitude: 5° 58' 60 N, Longitude: 116° 4' 0 E.
[Little Fox] Thank you. I will work hard. ^_^
[Anonymous] We have to be strong in life, and pray that God gives us strength when we need it. Thank you for the compliments.
[Bravebear] Flying a little bit. ;)
[Jaded One] Thank you thank you!
[nicky05] Looking forward to it!
[Sharman] Thank you Mr Pilot. It's going to be a long journey.
[dummy] I'm letting it be, but also going to great lengths to keep them from knowing and hurting them.
[aLEx-] Thank you Masterchef!
[SynchingZincInc] Thank you Helix. Prince Charming seems alright for now, though he's complaining of being alone. There's so much to learn when I start work.
[hs] Thank you. I hope I adapt to work quick and well.
Congratulations! NOW you can consider dating and get lovesick or whatever. As for your parents, well, it'll be okay somehow.
p.s. Try "i just broke up recently".
[Ban] I really wanted to say "i just broke up recently", but that would invite a thousand questions from my parents. Very persistent questions. ;)
Dear Dove,
May your career take off smoothly; soaring high and far. And ultimately reach for the star with the sky is the limit.
Tremendous amount of stress being lifted off... from shoulders upon stepping your feet out from the ivory tower but new set of stress awaiting... 'tekanan cap ibu'. You most probably have the intention to excel, with specialty in certain branch of medicine. Suppose that could buy you some time. Per Jason's suggestion: switch from 'busy studying' to 'busy working'. Then, back to 'busy studying' again. :)
'Financial independence and wisdom. Aren't those important things that you can fall back on, when you finally come out to your parents?'
Financial independence and wisdom are good & safe cushion whenever you stumble. And they could act as bullet proof vest when you decide to come out. It can shield the bullets from penetrating your flesh... nevertheless you will still feel the impact of the bullets and the pain it causes. It may even leave some blue black marks. You need to be strong, be there for yourself.
Any info which against the general belief... rejection would most probably is the immediate reaction. Some would come to terms... after the state of shock, denial, angry... So, apart form being strong, patient is another ingredient needed.
You don't get to choose to be born. It is god's creation thru the 'x' gene from your mom and the 'y' gene from your dad. Again, it is not your call that you attract to 'xy' instead of 'xx'. However, you can choose to live a happy and fulfilling life. The crux of the matter is... you need to know and be very clear what are the components that form 'happy and fulfilling' in YOUR life.
Very best wishes... autumn
i can see the wrath of the patients already. not very fun ehh?
[Jino] A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot
Dear autumn,
Thank you for your comment. It is written with good intentions and wonderful insight. :)
Little Dove
[Ultraman Jino] It's not fun at all, but this is what makes it challenging and interesting!
Post a Comment