White Love Story in Thai by Bee Peerapat.
I have decided not to go home for Chinese New Year. I love mommy and everyone at home. I have read all the suggestions by my dear fellow bloggers. I will not be going home this time. I promise I will go home for my long semester break. Instead of spending two or three days of Chinese New Year, I will stay at home longer when I return home end of this year and spend more time with mommy and family. Thank you everyone for all the care and love.
Today I saw someone I knew in the hospital. I ran after them. I wonder what happened and who got sick. I think I had worry written all over my face (I have a very animated face).
Someone was not well. It was the parents of a boy with Down syndrome whom I had been visiting for the past two years. I used “a boy with Down syndrome” instead of “a Down syndrome boy.” I think it makes a difference. Parents will appreciate it if you refer to their child not as a diagnostic category (a Down syndrome baby) but as an individual (a baby with Down syndrome). One parent came in for an elective surgery. I haven’t been seeing them for a few months as there were too many exams and studies-related work. Out of concern, I wanted to know to what happened to them. I offered to be chauffeur when he gets discharged from the ward and to secretly pack outside food for him during his ward stay. They declined politely. They said I look tired and should get more rest. They told me that they understood the amount of work I need to do and they will look after themselves. As usual, my hands were a little raised as I am used to gesturing while talking. Suddenly, the father grabbed and held my hand. I was stunned. He said, “Thank you, you are our friend for life.” I was touched. I didn’t know whether to smile or cry. I just smiled and excused myself. As I left them behind, I walked away slowly and made a mental note to visit them this weekend.
Happy Chinese New Year to all. May yours be filled with lots of love!
Today I saw someone I knew in the hospital. I ran after them. I wonder what happened and who got sick. I think I had worry written all over my face (I have a very animated face).
Someone was not well. It was the parents of a boy with Down syndrome whom I had been visiting for the past two years. I used “a boy with Down syndrome” instead of “a Down syndrome boy.” I think it makes a difference. Parents will appreciate it if you refer to their child not as a diagnostic category (a Down syndrome baby) but as an individual (a baby with Down syndrome). One parent came in for an elective surgery. I haven’t been seeing them for a few months as there were too many exams and studies-related work. Out of concern, I wanted to know to what happened to them. I offered to be chauffeur when he gets discharged from the ward and to secretly pack outside food for him during his ward stay. They declined politely. They said I look tired and should get more rest. They told me that they understood the amount of work I need to do and they will look after themselves. As usual, my hands were a little raised as I am used to gesturing while talking. Suddenly, the father grabbed and held my hand. I was stunned. He said, “Thank you, you are our friend for life.” I was touched. I didn’t know whether to smile or cry. I just smiled and excused myself. As I left them behind, I walked away slowly and made a mental note to visit them this weekend.
Happy Chinese New Year to all. May yours be filled with lots of love!

13 comments:
Hey Little Dove, you're in one of the professions that really fits you. :) Just remember that you will at times need to help yourself first before helping others, so get enough rest k?
"Parents will appreciate it if you refer to their child not as a diagnostic category (a Down syndrome baby) but as an individual (a baby with Down syndrome)."
Gods, even my 'colleges' in malaysian unis can not think like that. I'm quite impressed that you know about these things!
I agree with Janvier. Your profession needs people who are caring. But you also have to balance your own needs, okay?
Hope you enjoy your CNY.
colleagues. I meant colleagues. :P
it must be an awesome feeling...being appreciated for the awesome things that you do. Do remember to put some time aside for yourself k ;)
Simple words like that just drives you right?
Thank you so much for being one of the exceptional people that places others' interest above oneself. Agreed with Janvier that you must take care of yourself 1st too so that you are fit enough to give your all.
I was actually going to read this post tomorrow morn i/o now, but now I'm glad I did. I'll retire to bed with a smile! ^_^
Happy New Year Lil' Dove.
+Ant+
When are your exams? Make sure you at least take a break to have dinner with your friends at least. Don't be alone for CNY :)
And call your mom.
i'm proud of u.or perhaps u made us proud. :) happy cny, dude.
what goes around, comes around~
i see good fortune comin ur way =)
happy chines new year little dove...hope u'll not be that lonely~ =)
a destined doctor you are.
happy new year. may it be a year of success for you. :)
u r truly extraordinary, and u really make life much better for many ppl, and hope u keep up ur good work, and i also hope that there will b many special ppl like this around u, making ur life even more shining.
and happy chinese new year to u, may this new year bring u and family lots happiness and health :)
Happy Chinese New Year! :)
Thank you everyone for your comments. It made me feel warm on a lonely CNY night. Thanks again.
Post a Comment