Sunday, December 6, 2009

On a Sunday Night

What a Sunday! It’s like a 7-day week sometimes, or most of the time. I just returned from the wards at 10pm on a Sunday night. I am starting my posting at a new department tomorrow so I’m preparing and familiarizing myself with the different setting of the ward. The doctor used to see me on a Friday or weekend night and proclaimed, “You’re crazy. You should be far, far away from the hospital at this hour. Go to Redbox or somewhere else.”

Nowadays, they just smile at me. It’s good when doctors accept you as part of the team even though I’m still a medical student. I think if they see you frequent enough in the wards and helping them out, they become nicer to you despite the hecticness of ward work. Then they start teaching you. Yay, extra lessons and knowledge! Things that I’ll never learn from the textbooks.

It is expected of you to be hardworking when you are a medical student. Imagine back to back presentations in a day for almost every week. We have to be on our feet at each time. Sometimes, I think it’s unfair. University students have the best time of their lives but not in the case of medical students. Furthermore, there’s hardly any holidays. Medical studies are fun but can get very stressful at times. Of course, it is not as stressful as a practicing doctor. We don’t have the burden of the patients’ lives or stress from the superiors, yet! The workload is pretty heavy though. I have envisioned medical studies to be tough before I entered the course but never imagined it to be this tough.

I have not seen Prince Charming for a while (very long time in fact). Good thing he’s busy too. He’s away working overseas. When he is back in KL, he would be busy with the opening of his new franchise outlet. Good thing he has something to occupy himself. We are still good friends. He has started complaining that I am always too busy to meet him. I just make him wait, but he is patient. Most guys normally wait when I ask them, because they know I’m worth waiting for. Kidding!

I want to be a competent doctor when I graduate and this will take a lot of hard work. I’m so ready to be a houseman, emotionally and physically. Mom wants me to work overseas to avoid the work torture in the Malaysian health care system but I would like to obtain my Masters from UM in the near future and decide after that. Any advice, Nase or Savante?

Just received an sms from Prince Charming from faraway country. He just called me “sexy doctor” in his sms. Lol. I still think I’m a nerdy looking boy but that’s very sweet of him.

Time to go to bed as I have to wake up at an ungodly hour of 5.30am tomorrow. Got to read a little and then vote for my favourite fashion stylist for the TiC Annual Style Awards 2009 before I go to bed.

Good night!

Everyone smiles in the same language.
Little Dove

11 comments:

Gratitude said...

Glad to know that all is well, ya sexy doc! :)
+Ant+

TZ said...

i like practical then theory... i'm glad to read that you have the goal to be a competent doctor... hehehe... at least i don't need to ring the belt and say NEXT when one day i got you as the houseman in HKL ;p

Anonymous said...

hope you're doing well coping with hepas of work. the doctor's were right though. sometimes you need to give yourself a bit of chill time just to freshen up your body. gambatte ne =)

blue said...

thanks for sharing your motivation. I think im on a slow death LOL

William said...

Take care of yourself. Don't forget to relax... :)

Johnny said...

UM, paeds?!
it's good in UM.. but, MO's workload... is almost like HOs...
come to UM as ur HOship, then u'll know...
singapore is nothing better if compared to M'sia..

savante said...

I wouldn't exactly say it's torture :) Things are getting better for house officers so take heart. You do gain a lot of experience and knowledge in the wards.

nase said...

If anything, don't do your housemanship in UH or HKL for that matter. Seremban GH is far better in terms of opportunities for hands on experience and clinical building skills. Then for your MOship, apply for East Msia as you would learn a great deal of things there as well as competence, independence and confidence building not to mention the loads of worthy clinical experiences. There's a huge difference btw those MOs whom did Sabah/Sarawak and those stayed back here.

Goodness, why are you thinking so far into Postgrad already, eh? I always tell my juniors to go through all the rotations before deciding for good which specialty means most to you. I concur with Paul, hsemanship these days are far better in many terms.

As long as you're healthy with the right mindset and a big heart, actually hsemanship wud be enjoyable and a breeze. tat was exactly what mine turned out to be :-)

Little Dove said...

[Gratitude] Thanks Ant! ^_^

[TZ] If you are admitted to HKL, you don't have a choice on who you're getting as your houseman. Hehe

[Muhammad Afif] Certainly will. Gambate to you too! :)

[blue] Hang on!

[William] I relax when I read your blog. :)

[Johnny] I wan't thinking Singapore, somewhere further...

[Savante] Noted. Thanks for the advice. ^_^ I think some of the medical student bloggers are going to be my future fellow housemen and share the burden. :)

[Nase] I like to plan ahead so I can find out the best and most effective ways to achieve it. I'm just worried that after working in East Malaysia, it'll be difficult to transfer back to KL. Thanks for the pearls of wisdom.

nase said...

That's the common misconception. You just need a minimum of 2 years MO service in East Malaysia before transferring back and by that time, you would just qualify for any Masters program you seek. And if you have already done your hsemanship there, it only takes a year before coming back. Yes, it's good to plan ahead but it is only fair to give the different disciplines a good complete rotation before jumping on the bandwagon and later regret for taking up some specialty that you have no interest at all.

My sincerest advice to you is to focus on your current path to obtain the degree first and worry about all this later.

Little Dove said...

Thank you, Nase. *sweet smile*