Don't panic. Don't panic. DON'T PANIC.
I repeat to myself over and over again. I get very nervous during exams. I would do the relaxation breathing techniques for panic attacks, that I learnt during my psychiatric posting. I tend to say the most outrageous things during exams.
I’m very 'blessed'. For almost every clinical exam, I seem to get the consultant specialists, Professors or the Datos (renowned doctors in their respective fields) as my examiners. They are very experienced, very strict and most of all, stingy with marks, that adds to my anxiety.
Even during normal rounds or case discussions in the wards, the consultants would frequently point at me and ask questions. My friend proclaimed, “You’re the target because you have more hair than them!”
Here are some of the outrageous things I say during exams!
I repeat to myself over and over again. I get very nervous during exams. I would do the relaxation breathing techniques for panic attacks, that I learnt during my psychiatric posting. I tend to say the most outrageous things during exams.
I’m very 'blessed'. For almost every clinical exam, I seem to get the consultant specialists, Professors or the Datos (renowned doctors in their respective fields) as my examiners. They are very experienced, very strict and most of all, stingy with marks, that adds to my anxiety.
Even during normal rounds or case discussions in the wards, the consultants would frequently point at me and ask questions. My friend proclaimed, “You’re the target because you have more hair than them!”
Here are some of the outrageous things I say during exams!
In obstetrics and gynaecology posting:
Consultant: How do you assess anaemia from the physical examination?
Little Dove: Look for pallor of the conjunctiva, the tongue, general skin colour, signs of bleeding (blood loss), jaundice (heamolytic aneamia), koilonychia (iron deficiency anaemia) .
Consultant: Where else? (apparently she wanted more despite the above answer)
Little Dove: (More answers)
Consultant: What else?
Little Dove: (More answers)
Consultant: What else?
Little Dove: Erm, look at the hair. In the case of my patient, she has brownish hair. From the history, she has never coloured her hair or use any hair cream. This may be suggestive of chronic anaemia, with relation to her diagnosis. (Oh no, what nonsense did I just say?)
Consultant: (Nodded her head and marked something on the paper).
In paediatrics:
Dato: What test do you do for the hearing and how would you assess it?
Little Dove: The Distraction test. This can aided by the use of a rattle, preferable a Manchester rattle. This rattle has a monotomous, high frequency sound and the frequency can be adjusted. Keys, commonly used in the wards or “Made in China” rattles available locally are not recommended as the sound they produce have different frequencies and are not a good source to test for hearing. However, the Manchester rattle is only available in the UK. Moreover, the local hospital setting is not the most suitable for a Distraction Test as it is a little crowded and noisy. Distraction test should be performed in a quiet room. (Oh no, what nonsense did I just say?)
Dato: Which textbook do you read?
I passed both exams. Phew! I think paediatrics is one of the toughest postings.

9 comments:
Hi nice to meet you......do your best in your exam....XD
Aha... you're shining! Congrats.
cute...
talking is better than keep silence in undergraduate exam..
but, if u keep doing that (talking non-sense) in ur post-graduate exam.. u r asking for a FAIL.. hehe!
all the best!
"Which textbook do you read?"
What did you say and what was his reaction?
oo.... great answer..
I am willing to become your patient.
Treat my toe pls..
and no other place.
Ha ha..
Good job..
and remember.
Dato, consultant, also come from MO.
well..
They just signal you in their club using their method. :P
Glad to know you are doing well~ all the best in your other exams too...
[Nicky05] My pleasure to know you. ^_^
[William] Maybe a little ;p
[Johnny] Talking is a necessity in undergradute clinical exams. I'm sure you did very well in yours. :)
[Jaded Jeremy] I named his favourite textbook! And he smiled. ;p
[Emo-Happiness] Why the toe only? Haha. I don't want to see you as my patient. I wish for you to be in good health always! ^_^
[pikey] Thanks pikey! ^_^
Nelsons? or Lissauer & Clayden?
Wah you so pandai! I don't know half the things you mentioned and I am facing my 4th year finals in 5 days :S
[joshua] Mostly Nelsons (I feel that Lissauer & Clayden's not enough when you get to final year) and some 2008/2009 published textbooks. Must be updated. Haha.
All the best for your finals! ^_^
Post a Comment